Friday, February 17, 2012

Food Friday: Strawberry Oatmeal Bars

I'm getting this up kind of late, but it's the first time today I've had time to really sit down and focus on something. Last week my mom made these yummy oatmeal bars and brought some to us when she came to visit. Xave and I thought they were great and each had one or two. My husband discovered them the next day and ate most of the rest of them. He was pretty excited when she gave us a full container of them a few days later.

When we moved back to my in-laws we had a whole shelf of food storage that needed to be relocated, including the little bit of summer canning I got done before I was too exhausted from being pregnant. All my jam ended up at my mom's house and she's been using some of it to make these bars. I'm not really sure how my mom came across this recipe, but I think it's a pretty ingenious way to use your extra jam before it's time to restock the shelves with the new ones. They're extremely delicious, super easy, and an awesome snack for kids. What more could you ask for? Seriously, try this one out. You won't be sorry.

Strawberry Oatmeal Bars
Source: Pioneer Woman, Dee Rummond @ Foodnetwork.com


1 3/4 sticks salted butter, cut into pieces, plus more for greasing pan
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cup oats
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 10-12 ounce jar strawberry preserves

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and butter a 9x13 baking dish.

Mix together the butter, flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. Press half the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Spread with the strawberry preserves. Sprinkle the other half of the mixture on top and pat lightly. Bake until light golden brown, about 30 to 40 minutes. Let cool completely and then cut into squares.



I hope you all enjoy the holiday weekend! I'm looking forward to some relaxation and time with my family. Thanks for stopping by .:)

Photobucket

No comments: