Monday, January 2, 2012

Orange Almond Biscotti

Orange and almond is the flavor combination I usually stick with every year when I make biscotti. Each time I've made it, I've changed the ingredients slightly. I would typically add anise, but have found in the past that it overpowered the orange and almond flavors. I decided to leave it out this year and love how these turned out. You can really taste the orange and the almond adds a delicate background flavor. I got a little distracted while I was baking them, and they browned a little farther than I would have liked, but they still turned out awesome, and I just covered up the over browned bottom with chocolate. I hope you enjoy!



I love how these ones turned out! I didn't have a bowl big enough to dip these in since I was melting the chocolate in the microwave. Instead I drizzled them with milk chocolate, sprinkled on some sliced almonds, and then drizzled some more chocolate on the top to help the almond stick. Some people may not like dipping these in cocoa (or coffee) because of the nuts, but they make a great snack too!

Orange Almond Biscotti
(Adapted from Brown Eyed Baker)

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon orange extract
Zest of 1 orange
2 3/4 all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 ounces almonds, chopped or sliced

Preheat oven to 375F.

Cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy. Add the eggs on at a time, beating well after each addition, and then add the extract and zest. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a separate bowl. Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture and mix until almost combined. Add the almonds and mix until well incorporated and the dough begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl.

Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface, and rub a little flour on your hands. Divide the dough in two equal pieces and shape each into a log approximately 4 inches wide and 10 inches long. Bake on parchment lined baking sheets until lightly brown and small cracks form, about 25 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Transfer the logs to a cutting board. Slice on the diagonal in 1/2" slices using a very sharp kitchen knife. Place them back on the trays with the cut side up. Bake for another 16-20 minutes until lightly browned, turning over half way through baking. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.

No comments: