Friday, January 27, 2012

Shepard's Pie

I'm officially making my Friday's "Food Friday". One of my passions is cooking, and I'd love to share with everyone awesome recipes that I find as well as ones that I've gotten from my family. This particular one is easy and quick to make and is always a crowd-pleaser. It's a family recipe, and I'm not the best recipe writer, so let me know if anything is unclear.

Shepard's Pie
1 pound ground beef (hamburger)
1-2 cups thick spaghetti sauce*
4 potatoes
milk
butter
salt & pepper
dash of paprika
2 cans green beans, drained
1-2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Brown the hamburger in a medium sized skillet over medium heat. Turn off the heat and drain fat. Add the spaghetti sauce, starting with the smaller amount, and stir to combine. Add additional sauce if necessary.

Meanwhile, peel and dice potatoes. Add to a pot with enough cold water to cover the potatoes by at least an inch. Bring the water to a boil over high heat. Add a sprinkle of salt to the boiling water, and cook potatoes until tender. Drain off all water making sure to get off any excess water. Return the potatoes to the pot. Make mashed potatoes by adding desired amount of milk, butter, salt, pepper, and a dash of paprika. I like to mix mine with a hand mixer for a thick and smooth consistency. If you prefer a chunkier mash, a potato masher will work fine.

Transfer the hamburger mixture to a 9"x9" baking dish. Top with green beans and spread evenly. Carefully top the green beans with mashed potatoes. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top in desired thickness. Bake in oven for 30 minutes, making sure cheese has thoroughly melted. Let cool for a few minutes and then serve.

*We use a homemade jarred spaghetti sauce. You really only need enough sauce to coat the hamburger and keep it from drying out in the oven. It also adds some good flavor so I don't recommend omitting it. If you only have a store bought or thinner sauce, start off with a smaller amount.

3 comments:

Kassy said...

I had a quick question! Why does the water for the potatoes have to start out cold? I was just wondering if taht was a special trick or something!

Tiffany said...

It's something I learned from hours of watching food network. (addict!) If you throw them directly in boiling water, the outside cooks before the inside does. If you put them in with the water before putting the pan on the stove, it cooks them more evenly.

Kassy said...

I dis not know that! I'm a food network addict as well and it is literally ony tv all day lol. I'm going to make this recipe tomorrow night because it sounds delish! I'm making your chili lime chicken tonite! It's nice to try something new every once in awhile!