Friday, February 10, 2012

Food Friday: Crock Pot Teriyaki Chicken

I think one of the most frustrating parts about being sick is not knowing what to make for dinner, and not having energy to make it anyway. This week I didn't want to eat junk food like I normally would when I'm sick. I thought I'd picked some easy stuff to do at the beginning of the week, but over did it and ended up in bed more than I would have liked. Sound familiar?

Cue the crockpot. I LOVE cooking in the crockpot. It usually only requires a short time in the kitchen prepping, and then at the end of the day you have a delicious meal. When I saw this recipe for teriyaki chicken, I knew it would be a winner. It took me maybe 5 minutes to get the sauce mixed up and the crockpot going. The chicken came out tender and just like you'd expect of a teriyaki chicken from a restaurant. My sauce didn't turn out quite like I think it was supposed to, but everyone else seemed to love it. Great recipe for sick days, busy days, or even lazy days. Definitely a must try!


This is how Penny's turned out. YUM, right??
(It was gone before I could get good pictures here.)


Crock Pot Teriyaki Chicken
12 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 3 pounds)
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup soy sauce
6 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
3/4 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
4 1/2 teaspoons cold water
Hot cooked long grain rice

Place chicken in a 4 quart slow cooker. In a large bowl mix together the sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, ginger, garlic, and pepper. Pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours, or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken to a serving platter and keep warm. Skim fat from cooking liquid. Transfer liquid to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir cornstarch mixture into cooking liquid and continue stirring until sauce has thickened. Serve with chicken and rice. 

Photobucket

1 comment:

Penny said...

Hope you are feeling better Tiffany. Glad the crock pot chicken was a winner. Thickening the sauce with the cornstarch mixture makes it so good. Thanks for the link.